We had to wait. I told the boys that we were going kayaking on the Brazos two weekends ago, and it turned out the Waco Paddle Co., was closed, due to the river being too high. Can you imagine the disaster waiting to happen when amateur kayakers getting swept down the river by a swift current? It was good they were closed.
They were open this past weekend and I made reservations. However, this time, weather forecasters were predicting thunderstorms around 10:45 a.m., and it looked like they might be right. Our reservation was at 10 a.m. I called and to see if I could cancel. They said I could. But I decided, since we were already in the car, to see if we could get on the river nonetheless. We could, and we did.
For two hours we paddled, raced, relaxed and enjoyed the wildlife. Andy even pointed to a duck sitting on a log, and said, “Hey Dad, a sitting duck,” literally. All the while, the clouds looked foreboding and it lightly rained. We actually enjoyed the threat of a gully washer. It was part of the adventure.
As we headed for the car, the heavy rain finally hit and didn’t let up for several hours. We would spend the rest of the day staying dry.
All photos are copyright © Timothy J. Hammons 2021.