A friend posted that meme on Facebook, and I thought, “why just John?” There are lots of 3:16s in the Bible that are helpful. Here are most of them from the New Testament:
- Matthew 3:16 When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He[a] saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him.
- Mark skipped on purpose.
- Luke 3:16 John answered, saying to all, “I indeed baptize you with water; but One mightier than I is coming, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to loose. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.
- Acts 3:16 And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
- Romans 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways; (Well, maybe not this one.)
- 1 Corinthians 3:16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?
- 2 Corinthians 3:16 Nevertheless when one turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
- Galatians 3:16 Now to Abraham and his Seed were the promises made. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as of many, but as of one, “And to your Seed,”[a] who is Christ.
- Ephesians 3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man.
- Philippians 3:16 Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule,[a] let us be of the same mind.
- Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way. The Lord be with you all. (1 Thessalonians doesn’t have a 3:16).
- 1 Timothy 3:16And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
God[a] was manifested in the flesh,
Justified in the Spirit,
Seen by angels,
Preached among the Gentiles,
Believed on in the world,
Received up in glory.
- 2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
- Titus doesn’t have a 3:16.
- Hebrews 3:16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? (A warning).
- James 3:16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there.
- 1 Peter 3:16 having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
- 2 Peter 3:16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. (A warning against false prophets).
- 1 John 3:16 By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
- Revelation 3:16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot,[a] I will vomit you out of My mouth.
OK, that about wraps it up for 3:16 day. You can see there is quite a bit of good theology in all of that, along with some warnings, showing that even in John 3:16, we cannot get all warm and fuzzy because our faith is of dire importance. Either we believe, follow Christ obediently, or we perish.